The Japan Design Committee is pleased to present “Marimekko Botanical Garden — Prints Inspired by Nature”, the 777th Design Gallery 1953 exhibition.
Marimekko is a Finnish lifestyle design house that is famous all over the world. As one of the world’s first lifestyle brands, Marimekko has introduced a wide range of items that color our lives, including fashion and interior design. Marimekko’s printed textiles, designed with bold colors and shapes, are highly praised by many people, and in the 70 years since 1951, Marimekko has commercialized many textile works and produced many designers.
Marimekko’s theme for Spring/Summer 2022 is “Botanical”. The collection was created by Creative Director Rebekka Bay.
She took a lot of inspiration from plants and reflected it in the beautiful and dramatic print designs, using green and black as the main colors.
In the design gallery, the design patterns that symbolize the theme “Botanical” are animated and dance around the gallery. This is a trick to let visitors enjoy an immersive experience through images.
Message from Yugo Nakamura, Exhibition Manager
Bold scale and delicate colors. An unusual composition. Every Marimekko product is instantly recognizable and full of their unique “Marimekko-ness”. In this ambitious exhibition, in which Marimekko’s botanical prints are transformed into a space through digital animation, we may encounter the new “Marimekko-ness” that they see in the future.
- The 777th Design Gallery 1953 Exhibition “Marimekko Botanical Garden — Prints Inspired by Nature”
- Period: February 23 (Wed), 2022 – April 18 (Mon), 2010, 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., last day closing at 5:00 p.m., free admission
- Venue: Design Gallery 1953, Matsuya Ginza 7F
- Organizer: Japan Design Committee
- Supported by: Look Co.
- Cooperation: Marimekko
- Exhibition Director: Yugo Nakamura
• Please refer to the Matsuya Ginza website for the opening hours and other information.
The Marimekko store on the 7th floor of Matsuya Ginza will reopen as a full-category store on February 23 (Wednesday, national holiday). The first 300 customers who purchase Marimekko products of 16,500 yen or more including tax will receive a poster (70 cm long x 50 cm wide) with a print specially designed for the exhibition. In addition, there will be limited edition Matsuya products and pre-sale products. Please enjoy it together with the exhibition.
• Inquiries: Marimekko, Matsuya Ginza 7F tel. 03-3566-6033 (direct line to the store)