Shunji Yamanaka, a member of Nippon Design Committee and professor of the University of Tokyo, will hold “Yamanaka Laboratory Prototype Exhibition 2022 ‘S Exhibition’ ”
Outline of the exhibition
- Date: Friday, March 4, 2022 — Saturday, March 12, 2022 15:00 — 19:00 (Saturday and Sunday only 11:00 — 19:00)
- Free admission, reservation required
- Place: 1st Floor Gallery, Building S, Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
- Organized by Yamanaka Laboratory, The University of Tokyo
• Please note that viewing is limited to 20 people per hour. For reservations, please click the link in the middle of this page.
Purpose of the event
The shape of the letter “S” is associated with many things.
The flow of water, the curves of a creature’s body
Gently curving roads, car body lines
This abstract symbol plays a role in many natural and man-made objects and
beauty is created.
Sometimes it speaks of rationality, and sometimes it appeals to our senses.
At Yamanaka Laboratory, we are trying to create a new type of
We are working on designs “between natural and man-made objects” and “between rationality and sensibility”.
The words we value, such as “beauty” and “creatureliness,” are used in our work.
It has always been discussed in these areas.
Each of the works in this exhibition reveals an “S” in its form.
Behind the “S” is the designer’s struggle and challenge.
Please try to understand and feel the “S” shown in the works.